1. Do make sure you know the difference between business, casual, and evening attire. The book, Style Clinic: How to Look Fabulous All the Time, at Any Age, for Any Occasion, by Paula Reed is a great resource.
2. Do try one of the new nail colors in OPI’s South Beach Collection. With names like Suzi & the Lifeguard, Sand in My Suit, and Clubbing Til Sunrise, you know they will add a little sizzle to your night. Hot, hot, hot!
3. Do go ahead and wear your pearls; stop saving them for a wedding or funeral.
4. Don’t leave the “slim trouser” behind just because you think they won’t look good. In a slimming dark color like black or navy, they can be chic with a variety of pieces like a tunic, blouse and cardigan, trench coat, heels, and flats. Experiment with this closet staple. (Photo pictures the Martin sleek straight pant; available at bananarepublic.com, $79).
5. Do use some “green” products in honor of Earth Month. Try clothing made from organic fabric, all-natural skin and hair products, and cleaners; you never know, you might love them and make the switch for good. Anthropologie is introducing Edun’s 100% organic “Bee Tees” to help generate awareness of the disappearance of honeybees. (Available at Antropologie stores, $58).
6. Do exfoliate and protect your lips for a beautifully smooth kisser! Mary Kay’s, Satin Lips set will prepare you for summer’s romantic moments. (Lip Balm, 3 oz., $9.50; and Lip Mask, 3 oz., $9.50. The set is available for $18 through a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant or marykay.com).
7. Don’t always think you have to spend loads of money on a new outfit for a special occasion; ask a friend or family member if you can “shop in their closet” for your outfit. With the savings, you can treat them to lunch!
8. Do express yourself artistically this season with clothing, colors, and makeup that bring out your creative side.
9. Do try on an outfit that you normally would not; a new shape, color, or style will keep you on your fashion toes.
10. Do a closet overhaul. A fresh perspective on your current wardrobe will give you inspiration.
"I make no excuses for my diverse roles as a Rock Your Feminine Type Coach™ and Branding Expert, best-selling author, and crime thriller novelist. Yes, I do still chuckle a bit at the irony. I kick ass as a women’s biz coach by day and kill off vulnerable fiction characters at night. What the hell, it makes for some interesting dreams. I believe that everyone should pursue their passions no matter how out there they seem to be. One of those pure heart-fluttering passions for me has always been writing. Since I did, indeed, chase my dream of being a writer, I've published two non-fiction books in the self-development genre, co-authored an international best seller, and now I'm finally pushing my much-too-old-to-be-in-the-nest novel out the door and into the world. My whole world is empowering and I adore showing others how to live life unfiltered, whether I do that through the written word or my coaching work. I love my job!" ~Kellie R. Stone