1. Do get measured for a custom fit. Tip: Some department stores have a free alteration service.
2. Do look for this season’s “Boyfriend” jacket. Longer and boxier, this trend gives a nice contrast to a frilly blouse.
3. Don’t be quick to throw out your old jackets; alterations, new buttons, trims, and a little creativity just might bring these oldies back to life.
4. Don’t always match your jacket to your skirt or slacks. Try a dark one with a light bottom or a light one with a dark bottom. Color is good, too!
5. Do look for unique jackets in trendy boutiques. These pieces can end up being staple wardrobe items.
6. Do spend more on suits. The better fit will pull you together like nothing else.
7. Don’t pass up that cute, leather jacket in your favorite color. Color trends come and go; you might not see it come around for awhile.
8. Do look for classic pieces at Goodwill or thrift stores. I once found a vintage, black velvet jacket for $3.00.
9. Do belt a classic blazer with your favorite scarf for a pop of color.
10. Do look for A-line trenches if you are pear-shaped.
Photo: Crop Leather Ruffle Jacket, available at Victoriassecret.com, $168.