The Horrible Truth
While surfing my Dish network channels, I immediately paused on a station airing The Dr. Oz Show. He was talking about a frightening issue with some weight loss supplements. Though, I don’t personally take weight loss supplements, I suddenly thought of all the people who have, who are, and who are thinking about it. The shocking expose pushed me to write this post and spread the word about what is really found in those little diet pills. First of all, Dr. Oz did not condemn all supplements; in fact, he said that “most” weight loss aids are safe. But the problem is the masses don’t really know what they’re purchasing without any FDA regulations and solid research reports in place.
Jim Neal-Kababick, director of Oregon-based Flora Research Laboratories, which conducted the tests for the Dr. Oz show, reported that this problem is “worse than it’s ever been.” Millions of unsuspecting consumers are at risk for obtaining these “spiked” products. Among the additives found by the Flora Research Lab were antidepressants, recalled prescription drugs (Phen-Phen), and antibiotics. I know, right? How in the hell does this happen. His guest explained that some of these companies do not practice general precautions to prevent cross-contamination between the various products they produce. And, if these manufacturers are producing illegal versions of drugs, they are likely not spending a lot of time keeping there labs and production lines safe and clean.
How To Protect Yourself From Tainted Supplements
You owe it to yourself and your family to be extremely cautious about what supplements you take, especially in this category. Here are some tips for purchasing quality products in the future.
1. Don’t use them at all, instead rely on good eating habits and exercise to produce safe weight loss. There are other vitamin supplements that give energy and help you to maintain good metabolism; such as, B vitamins, Chromium, and green supplements. (Be sure to talk to your doctor about any supplements before taking them.)
2. Don’t ever purchase anything that claims it has prescription strength ingredients. Wow, that’s a HUGE red flag! If you are looking for or really need a script to help you lose weight, ask your doctor.
3. Remember, there is no super-sonic way to lose weight! Those companies that proclaim outlandish “miracle” results are simply not telling you the truth. Don’t fall for the hype…ever!
4. OK, now this is really important. If you can’t read the label, don’t buy it! Some of these manufacturers are not in America or English-speaking countries. The labels put on their products are likely in a native language. Be especially cautious of online distributors that offer translation in English.
5. Do some research about companies and products first before you buy. The FDA website is a vital source for product regulation and reports of manufacturing violations.
This article is just a surface “heads-up” of what is happening out there in the world of weight loss supplements. Please continue to find answers for your questions through reputable sources like Dr. Oz, FDA, and The Flora Research Laboratories. Also, do pass along this article to your friends and social media contacts. We need to get this message out before other people get hurt or even die from spiked supplements. Thanks for your help. Have you ever taken weight loss supplements? Please share your experience with us!
FDA Steps Up Crackdown on Tainted Supplements