Have you ever wondered why young children enjoy simple, unimportant interactions with every day objects like flowers (or flour), bugs, water, dirt, and even the really gross stuff? Because their minds aren’t filled with the complications of life, they have time for the sensical parties in which we adults refuse to partake – most of the time.
I think we are missing a large part of life when we lose our fascination with what is around us. When was the last time you smelled a flower? How long has it been since you played in the dirt? “That’s silly,” you say with a scrunched up nose. I’m serious. Those whimsical interactions that we now think are ridiculously childish could be our link to joy and peace. We make things too complicated with our systems, lists, and boundaries. I’m not saying that we should all just go jump in a mud puddle and forget our responsibilities; no, I’m just saying we should consider the fun things that our “mature” selves have left behind.
To be sensual women, we have to understand our senses and what they need to be stimulated. I’m sorry, housework does not qualify as whimsical folly- unless you do it naked with Cindy Lauper’s, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun roaring in the background. Even while I wrote this, my toddler so eloquently dropped my Lotus phone into a cup that just so happened to be still half-full of cold coffee; she had so much fun doing it! OK, so ruining phones isn’t the point, but being free and full of wonder is.
Children grow exponentially because they choose to stimulate every part of their beings. Though we are not toddlers, we can mimic the hungry senses of the young. Try the following “acts” to bring some healthy life to your dormant inner-child.
Just Do It
- Pick some flowers (yes, pick them yourself; do not buy them in the grocery store).
- Visit a local pottery-making cafe and actually create your own masterpiece.
- Finger paint.
- Eat something with your fingers that you normally would eat with a fork.
- Go to a botanical garden and smell every flower.
- Get a therapeutic massage…and relax.
- Go to a park and get on a swing. See how high you can go!
- Play one of your favorite songs from yesteryear really loud like you used to.
- Play with makeup.
- Go to the pet store just to play with the animals.
- Ride the roller coaster that you were always too afraid of.
A conservative list to some but a place to start for others, any of the above will get you thinking about the simple things that once made you feel alive and free. Be well.