For the second part of our series on “no surgery face lifts,” I want to share with you a completely natural way in which to get back a youthful, fit face. When I was little, my mother used do these facial exercises that made me laugh at her because of the funny expressions that she would make. I’d ask, “Mommy, what are you doing?”
“I’m getting rid of my double chin and saggy cheeks,” she would reply. I was seven; that meant absolutely nothing to me. Still, I watched in amusement as she twisted her mouth, tried to touch her tongue to the tip of her nose, and acted as though she was screaming without making a sound. I was mesmerized by her comical routine nightly. I said that to say this; though my mother passed at 59, she looked about 40 before she got sick. She attributed her youthful complexion to the years of facial exercises. Now that I’m in my forties, I totally get it, Mom.
She would be proud that I have followed in her footsteps by using a similar facial exercise program. I will do my best to describe an easy routine you can do every day.
- The Tongue Touch – With your tongue stuck out as far as it can go, curl it up toward the end of your nose. Though most can’t actually touch your nose, pretend that that’s what you are doing. Repeat the movement 10 times. The stretch and tension this exercise puts on the chin and the underneath parts does wonders for a double chin and sagging muscles.
- The “Ouch” Mouth – Start with a closed mouth, then open it suddenly as if you are saying an exaggerated “ouch” sound. You don’t have to say ouch, but it won’t hurt if you do. Focus on your facial muscles as you repeat this motion 10 times.
- The Squint – This one is easy. Just pretend that you are trying to block something from getting into your eyes. Scrunch your eyes and cheek muscles tightly for a few seconds and release. Repeat this 10 times.
- The Open Wide – Start with a closed mouth, then open it as wide as you can sticking your tongue out and down towards your chin. This one works on the chin and cheek areas. You can repeat this 10 times.
- The Eyebrow Torque – Make a scowling expression (just think about your mean boss or how your husband forgot to take the trash out for two weeks straight). Take your index fingers and thumbs and firmly hold your brows down in that position. Now, try to raise your eyebrows. Repeat this exercise 10 times for tighter brow muscles.
You should feel a difference in your endurance after about a week. At that point, you can increase your repetitions to 15 or 20. I noticed an improvement in the tightness of my facial muscles in about two weeks. Results will vary depending on your consistency and the current level of facial fitness. Please view the following video for a quick excerpt from a facial fitness seminar. For some different facial exercises and information on facial fitness, visit Cynthia Rowland’s website.
***Cynthia Rowland is widely recognized as an expert in all natural facial fitness with over thirty years experience in health & beauty related fields. She has appeared on The View, Fit TV, HGTV and other popular shows. This author, speaker and television personality is leading the crusade to keep men and women looking vibrantly younger through natural techniques without spending their childrens inheritance.
Be well-be beautiful.
Photo by Photonut