Do you know who your best supporter is? Is it a friend, a lover, a family member? I have discovered that, while it is beneficial and awesome to have friends and family who cheer us on, we need to have a healthful outlook toward ourselves and our lives as well. No matter what others say we can do and accomplish, until we believe in ourselves and our potential, we won’t get too far. Other people can encourage us until they are blue in the face, but not reinforcing that encouragement with personal belief in the accolades or words of faith presented causes it to fall short of the positive intention.
- When you start believing your best supporters, you become your best support!
I have a friend named Fred. He is always sharing his woe-is-me attitude, “Nothing ever goes right for me and I can never get ahead in life.” His negativity hinders most of my encouraging words from benefiting him. I feel as if we are dancing the Russian two step (2 Steps forward, one step back).
He negates the encouragement with more words of negativity. He inflicts words of discouragement on his heart. Granted, I still offer positive remarks, “You can do this, hang in there, this will pass…” But I do not feel they go much farther than his ears. If he continues to always talk down about himself, he will not improve his self-esteem. It has been this way for ten years. He is always in the same mode. It saddens me greatly.
- Be your own encourager and watch others be more willing to give their support.
We need high self-esteem. I am not talking about being haughty or prideful but about boosting ourselves up. We all have the power to change our lives.We have the ability to accomplish the things we dream!
- Support systems become even more influential when we get on board with our own success. All those positives help elevate us to our goals!
- Good self esteem helps us to live more productive lives.
I have seen many friends go through difficult times with health, family issues, jobs, and lack. They make it through with tremendous can-do-attitudes. My friend, Erin, is one of these. And, while she is can-doing it for herself, she is encouraging others with her smile and her heart! She is surrounded by cheerleaders but, more importantly, she is one herself. The world needs more of this type of person who builds others up while cheering themselves on.
I know we all have bad days. Days when nothing seems to go right. We are human. We live on planet earth and anything can happen. Some days feel like weeks! Disappointment is something that is inevitable, but how we respond to each situation affects the future and whether things turn out in a positive way.
- If you are someone else’s cheerleader, continue to help them. AND, continue to encourage yourself!
10 Self-Encouragement Action Steps
1. Listen to music that motivates and inspires you. There are so many types of music and many songs of encouragement that promote self-development. One of my favorites is DREAM BIG by Katrina Elam (this is my version). Another is WHEN YOU BELIEVE by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston (my version:)
2. Self affirmations can pump your spirit up. You can look in the mirror and tell yourself “I got this.” “I can do this.” “I am a success!” “I am awesome!” “I am beautiful.” I am talented.”
3. DO SOMETHING! I have been saying this for a while. Until we finally just DO IT, it won’t get it done. Act on your good affirmations.
4. Learn something new. This will make you feel more confident in your old abilities and the new ones.
5. Find a hobby. Or continue one you let fall by the wayside. This allows you to make new friends or spark deeper friendships with people you already know.
6. Change your surroundings. Changing the flow of your living space can allow for a change in your perspective. You start looking at things from different angles. How can things fit differently and still look good?
7. Take care of yourself. Personal care is very important. Nothing is worse than feeling like you aren’t at your best and knowing you could be.
8. Dress to impress…Yourself. You should feel comfortable in the skin you are in and in what you cover up in. It should accentuate you positively.
9. Enjoy some YOU time. Take time out to make yourself feel important. You deserve it. Care about you and how you see yourself.
10. When someone encourages you, encourage them back. Smile. Thank them for their support. And pass it on to others.
Now you are surrounding yourself with positive energy that promotes your happiness and life fulfillment. After all, Isn’t that what we really want?